Friday, December 19, 2014

Place a boat in a cut glass bottle









I’ve always liked miniature ships or boats in glass bottles. I guess I had to make one.

First of all I made a template of the boat and I glued it on a scrap piece of plywood.

I drilled some entry holes on my drill press for the scroll saw blade.

Then I cut the piece on the scroll saw. To remove the template, I first sprayed the piece with rust remover, let it soak for a while and then removed it easily.

I sanded the piece.

I then used my glass bottle cutting jig to make my basic cutting line. I heated the cut with a candle and then I cooled it with water. I repeated this process a few times until my bottle was cut easily.

I glued the ship in the bottle using my glue gun.

I glued the two pieces of the bottle back together using to part epoxy.

I added a small rope for decoration and for covering up the cut. I did that with my glue gun.

I made the bases using my scroll saw and a couple of scrap spruce pieces. I sanded them using a big dowel as a sanding block to sand the inner curves.


My piece is ready!


Get a free ship template here.

3 comments:

  1. This has a lot of potential for even complex projects, like building a scale model and inserting it into the bottle with your technique. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, glad you liked it!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete