Thursday, September 20, 2018

Restoring grandpa's sledge hammer














This tool belonged to my grand father. I really enjoy using tools that are owned by our family for generations.

In this video I show you how to restore an old rusty hand tool. I cleaned the rust off of it and made a new oak handle for it. 

I begun the restoration by sanding the rust off with the angle grinder. I used an 80grit sanding disc. For better results you can soak the iron in vinegar for a few days. To reach a few difficult spots, I used a wire brush bit on my drill.

Next I moved on to the handle. I used my circular saw to cut a piece of oak. I squared my blank on the bandsaw and the miter box.

I then designed the handle’s shape and cut it on the bandsaw. I used the off cut as a guide to design the opposite side, I cut it on the bandsaw as well.

With a few drops of hot glue I glued the offcuts back to their place. Using the same methods I cut the other side view of the tool.

I then marked the size of the tenon. Based on that I created the rounding over guide lines. 

Next I begun shaping with a spokeshave. I also used a round rasp. To clean the rasp marks I used a file and to clean the file marks I used 100 grit sandpaper. 

On the end grain I used the spokeshave diagonally so I can cheat on the hard end grain fibers.

Every now and then I established guidelines. The shaping process is about blending the guidelines to create the curves you want.

Then I started working on the tenon. It has a conical shape to fit the conical shape of the hammerhead’s mortise. I hammered the handle in the metal and got a couple of markings on the wood. Then I worked on the handle to remove those markings with the spokeshave. I repeated this process many times until the handle fitted through the hammerhead.

Then I finished the shaping. I sanded with 100 moved to 220 and stopped at 320 grit.

I then marked the slot for the wedge. I cut the slot with a handsaw. To make sure I cut straight I kept changing sides while cutting.

I then cut a walnut wedge on the bandsaw. I sanded it on the belt sander.

Next I fitted the wedge in the handle. I then I hammered the handle all the way in the iron. I added glue on the wedge and hammered it in place. I cut the excess on the bandsaw and sanded it flush with the grinder.

I finished the piece with my homemade beeswax and mineral oil finish. I added some finish on the metal as well to keep it rust free.

At this point I was done. I am really happy that I gave life back to an old family related tool! 

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete