Tuesday, September 18, 2018

How to make a simple DIY toy car out of wood










I made this simple toy vehicle out of spruce wood. If you want to make one yourself, there is a template available, through my Patreon page. 

First of all, I designed the shape I wanted directly on my piece of wood.

I then used a forstner bit to remove the material from inside the windows.

Using a regular drill bit, I drilled the holes for the wheels.

Next I cut my shape out on the bandsaw. You can replace the bandsaw with a jigsaw or a fret saw.

Then I used my belt sander to sand the piece smooth. 

I armed my router with a round over bit and gave a round over to  my car. After all toys need to be smooth.

Then I gave everything a light sanding with 220 grit. 

Using a cheap hole saw, I cut the wheels. First I cut half way in, then I flipped the pieces over to finish the cut.

I then passed the wheels through a threaded rod. I added washers and two nuts at each end. I then tightened the nuts. Next I mounted the rod on my drill and using a sanding block, I sanded the wheels.

I then mounted the router on my vise and used it as a router table, to round over the wheels as well. If you don’t feel safe to do that, you can just sand the round over.

Finally I glued the wheels on the dowels I had previously cut using my miter box and a handsaw. I sanded the dowels flush on my belt sander.

My little car came out great. I hope you enjoyed this project, see you soon with a new project video!

No comments:

Post a Comment