Friday, September 7, 2018

How to make a portable DIY microphone booth for recording voiceover










I wanted a mini microphone recording booth, so I could record better quality voiceovers for my videos. I made it out of 9mm OSB wood and sound insulation foam panels.

This is basically a sound insulated box. I had the OSB panels cut to size at the lumberyard I bought it. 

I used corner clamps, to temporarily clamp the pieces together, while I glue and nail them. I used my air powered nail gun, but you can definitely use a regular hammer if you don’t have one.

Using a wet rag, I wiped off the excess glue. 

I then glued and nailed the other side and the back panel. I did not know how thick OSB I was gonna find, so I ordered the back a bit oversized. I used a hand saw to trim it flush.

Using the method of the diagonals, I found the center of the top rectangle. I then added the handle and marked the positions of the holes. I drilled the holes and mounted the handle with tiny bolts and nuts.

I used a cheap IKEA hole saw, to make the feet of the box. I drilled half way in, flipped the piece over and finished the drilling. I glued and nailed the pieces in place.

On the back of the box, I drilled a hole for the microphone’s extension cable. 

Using my trusty old angle grinder, I sanded everything flush with 80 grit sand paper.

I then cut a few scrap OSB pieces on the bandsaw, to make a tablet holder. The tablet will be used as an autoque device.

Again, I glued and nailed the pieces together. I added the mic in the booth so I could measure the tablet holder. I then cut it to size, on the bandsaw. 

Using a scrap piece as a spacer, I marked the position of the holder. I drilled two holes and countersinked them. I added the screws half way in. Then I pressed the holder against the screws to mark their locations. I then predrilled pilot holes, to avoid splitting. Finally, I screwed the holder in place.

I placed a sound insulation foam panel inside the box. I trimmed it flush with an exacto knife. I then glued the foam panels inside the OSB box, using a special foam adhesive. The adhesive expands and sets in about 20 minutes. 

To hide the ugly end grain of the OSB, I added spruce trim. I cut the trim to size, using my miter box and a handsaw. I then glued and nailed the trim into place. I covered the imperfections using wood filler. Finally I sanded it with my angle grinder.

I finished my box with two coats of clear, satin water based varnish. I lightly sanded between coats with 220 grit sandpaper.

At this point, my booth was ready, I added the extension cable and the tablet. Then I connected the mic and started recording. 

As you can hear in the video, the booth really worked and took my voiceover quality to the next level.


I hope you enjoyed this build, as I have. See you soon with a new project!

1 comment: