Thursday, August 1, 2019

Making a birdhouse on the lathe - Woodturning

Tools and materials I propose:

To make this birdhouse I used olive wood and apricot wood. I also used my hook tool for the first time, in order to hollow the endgrain core of the house.

First of all I used my electric chainsaw to cut an olive wood log to rough size. I then mounted it on the lathe between centers and trued it up with a roughing gouge. The lathe was set at it’s lowest speed to reduce the vibrations of the unbalanced piece. 

I filled the cracks with wood glue and wood chips.

Using a flat beading tool and my skew chisel I created a dovetailed tenon to fit my chuck’s jaws. 

I then chucked the blank and shaped the exterior using a spindle gouge. 

To hollow the interior I again lowered the speed of the lathe. I used a forstner bit to remove material from the core. This was engrain hollowing and olive wood is pretty hard. So I tried a new tool for this job. It’s called hook tool. It’s is a pretty dangerous tool so I took it really slow to try to find the sweet spots on which the tool cut. This worked out nicely but slowly. Every now and then I came back with the forstner bit to remove material. When I finished with the hook, I cleaned the cut marks with a round side scraper. 

Back on the exterior again I used a skew to even things up. I also drilled the entrance hole with a forstner bit. Finally I parted the piece off using a spindle gouge, the skew and a handsaw. 

I flipped the piece over and chucked it with my bowl bottom jaws. I used a spindle gouge to clean the bottom of my birdhouse. I also drilled the hole for the dowel on which the bird stands.

The roof of my house is made out of apricot wood. I used a bowl gouge, a skew and a beading tool to shape it. Basically the roof has a male tenon which is glued on the body. It also has a small hanger from which you can hang the birdhouse. 

Again using apricot I made the small dowel on which the bird rests. I mostly used the skew to shape it. I glued the dowel in place. 

I finished my house with three coats of clear, water based, satin varnish. I sanded between coats with 220grit. I used my heat gun to speed up the drying process. 

My little birdhouse came out nice. I hope you’ve enjoyed this project, because that was it, see you soon with a new project video.

Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, that at no cost to you, I get a small commission if you click through and make a purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment