Monday, July 30, 2018

How to make a DIY rustic decorative boat













I made this fishing boat out of pallet wood. It is a pretty easy DIY project you can make in a few hours with limited tools. 

This is my last video before vacations. 

First of all I lightly sanded my pallet wood with the angle grinder. I used a really cool sanding attachment that uses velcro to attach the sandpaper.

I then marked the basic template design on one board. I used my miter box to make the cross cuts with a handsaw. To make the curved cuts, I first removed much material with the saw and then sanded the rest of the shape with the grinder.

I used the first piece as a template and then made two more. I glued the pieces together. Because I did not want to wait for the glue to dry, I clamped the pieces together, pre drilled pilot holes, counter sunked them and screwed them together. 

Using similar techniques I cut the front part of my boat. I glued and nailed it in place.

I then sanded everything flush with the grinder.

To shape the front, I created a guide line and sanded the area off. I then blended the sides with the center line. 

To make the cockpit I glued and nailed three pieces together. I then used the grinder to shape and sand the piece. I glued and screwed the cockpit in place. 

I then thinned some white latex paint with water to make a stain. I applied one coat on the boat. Then I used my heat gun, to speed up the drying process. I then sanded with 100grit to remove the paint from the high spots and create the rustic effect.

I applied a second color to some areas of the boat. I then dried with the heat gun and sanded again. 

I named my boat. 

I finished my boat with two coats of water based, clear, satin varnish.

My boat was ready, it came out great. It was a really easy limited tools project.

I hope you all enjoyed this build, see you soon with new woodworking projects.


Until then, have all a nice summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment