Wednesday, December 31, 2014

How to make a kitchen rolling table








This table is really useful in the kitchen. It can be used as a secondary bench or as an additional table.

The design is not unique, you can find similar designs around the web.

It’s dimensions are 58x50cm (table top) and around 85cm tall. For this project I used spruce.

First of all I cut my legs using a saw and my miter box.

I first made the two sides of the base. To do that I used dowel joinery. I marked all the pieces and drilled the first holes on my frill press. To find the right spot for the opposite holes I used my dowel pointers. I glued the two sides.

I used the same technique to glue the inner pieces.  In order to glue everything square I added the bottom pieces temporarily with clamps to act as support.

To make the top I slightly joined the boards using my block plane. I glued the top piece and I clamped it. I also used some weights to keep the top as flat as possible.

To cut the top piece to the right dimensions I made a straight edge for the circular saw. I glued two boards together in a 90 degree angle. I plunged the circular saw to establish the starting point of my cuts on the shorter board.

Now I cut the top to the correct size. I clamped the jig in place and cut with my circular saw.

The table has two shelves. I glued and nailed the pieces of the shelve. I used one of the pieces as a spacer.

I rounded over the edges using my block plane.

I rounded over the top using my router and a round over bit.

I screwed the top and bottom pieces of the table using metal angles. For this job I used a flexible drill extension in order to screw awkward places of the piece.

I sanded the piece with 120 grit sand paper. Then I vacuumed the piece and applied a coat of clear  satin water based varnish. I applied 3-4 coats and sanded between them with 400 grit sandpaper.

I added the wheels. I first predrilled some pilot holes and then screwed the wheels in place.


My table is ready.

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was amazing! I want mine to be a bit larger and minus the second shelf, but I'm definitely going to try to replicate this fantastic piece of work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Amazing piece!
    Just wondering what's the name of the tool you used in the first scene where it is for guiding the handsaw?
    Cheers!
    Tin

    ReplyDelete
  4. brilliant ! thanks for the vidio and instructions i will be making one for a narrow space and your is just the job . Bridie

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete